This was the thought that dominated all others on this hike. A rational person would use previous experiences to help guide them in their future decisions but not me. Perhaps it is the German ancestry in my blood that makes me so stubborn. I blame my parents.
Regardless of my genealogy, I really should have worn pants.
Needless to say, there were a lot of tall grasses and wildflowers covering the trail. Not right from trailhead, mind you. No, the trail wants to suck you in, distract you, and then attack your legs and make you regret having trod upon its surface.
This was a steep climb from the onset. It was enough to make me wonder why I go on hikes. But after a few hundred yards I got my wind and was able to start looking around and taking in the scenery. Under a canopy of trees, there was plenty of shade and ivy covering the ground and tree trunks. It was something I have not seen in other adventures.
I soon came out of the cover of the shade and even though it was still early, I was already cursing Apollo. The heat and the steep grade made for slow going.
At lower elevations, I was meandering in and out of the trees. It wouldn't be a real hike unless I came across a snake. Once again I was fortunate that the one I ran across about one mile into the hike was not venomous, but it was creepy looking just the same. At first it appeared to be the largest earthworm I had ever seen but then I thought it was some prehistoric slug. Closer inspection proved it to be another snake. Finally getting over my fear around these hideous creatures, I attempted to escort my footless friend off the trail, but he was not compliant. Let's just say I made it down the trail and leave it at that.
There are very few switchbacks on this trail and it made for a steep climb. I climbed just shy of 3,000 feet in elevation over 3.5 miles. The climb seemed worse as the wildflowers seemed to grab hold of my legs in an attempt to stop my progress. But I would not be deterred. The constant buzzing of all of the bees collecting pollen were enough to prevent me from resting too long in one spot. I have doubts about the declining bee population after being up here as they were everywhere. I can't believe I did not get stung especially when one flew up under my sunglasses. How ridiculous I must have looked as I swatted at the air in front me while the bee was safe and sound under my lens.
A new concern seeped into my brain. If a bee could make it under the lens of my sunglasses, what's to stop one from going up my shorts? On top of that, how would I look if another hiker approached as I was removing the stinger? Try to explain that one!
The climb continued and the wildflowers seemed to only get thicker and taller. At times they were chest high and I had to push through the growth with my forearms in spots. By the time I reached the ridgeline, I had a very uncomfortable rash starting on my forearms and my legs. At times, I saw what looked like poison ivy but to me, everything has leaves of three with serrated edges. It was unavoidable at points, so I trudged onward. I really should have worn pants.
At about two or two and a half miles in, the climb brought about a yearning for the flat lands of Iowa. Well perhaps yearning is a strong word but it definitely produced a deep appreciation for my homeland. The climb did not cease.
I eventually reached the ridge and decided to turn back to the northwest. I climbed a more open and rocky peak before heading back. The strong winds at the top were quite cool but very refreshing.
The descent was brutal. My knees are cursing me today and I can't remember how many slips and slides I experienced on the return trip. Overall, it wasn't that great of a hike. I was definitely glad that my kids did not go if for no other reason than the bees that were everywhere. The rash that I got from the vegetation was also a negative. But if nothing else, it was great three-and-a-half hours of exercise.
Link to the map:
View Wellsville Mountains - 2011-08-27 in a larger map
Click on the sideshow to see the albums:
Created by My Tracks on Android.
Total Distance: 12.21 km (7.6 mi)
Total Time: 3:28:42
Moving Time: 2:08:38
Average Speed: 3.51 km/h (2.2 mi/h)
Average Moving Speed: 5.69 km/h (3.5 mi/h)
Max Speed: 30.60 km/h (19.0 mi/h)
Min Elevation: 1635 m (5363 ft)
Max Elevation: 2547 m (8358 ft)
Elevation Gain: 1063 m (3488 ft)
Max Grade: -5 %
Min Grade: -20 %
Recorded: Sat Aug 27 08:20:42 MDT 2011
Activity type: hiking
At lower elevations, I was meandering in and out of the trees. It wouldn't be a real hike unless I came across a snake. Once again I was fortunate that the one I ran across about one mile into the hike was not venomous, but it was creepy looking just the same. At first it appeared to be the largest earthworm I had ever seen but then I thought it was some prehistoric slug. Closer inspection proved it to be another snake. Finally getting over my fear around these hideous creatures, I attempted to escort my footless friend off the trail, but he was not compliant. Let's just say I made it down the trail and leave it at that.
There are very few switchbacks on this trail and it made for a steep climb. I climbed just shy of 3,000 feet in elevation over 3.5 miles. The climb seemed worse as the wildflowers seemed to grab hold of my legs in an attempt to stop my progress. But I would not be deterred. The constant buzzing of all of the bees collecting pollen were enough to prevent me from resting too long in one spot. I have doubts about the declining bee population after being up here as they were everywhere. I can't believe I did not get stung especially when one flew up under my sunglasses. How ridiculous I must have looked as I swatted at the air in front me while the bee was safe and sound under my lens.
A new concern seeped into my brain. If a bee could make it under the lens of my sunglasses, what's to stop one from going up my shorts? On top of that, how would I look if another hiker approached as I was removing the stinger? Try to explain that one!
The climb continued and the wildflowers seemed to only get thicker and taller. At times they were chest high and I had to push through the growth with my forearms in spots. By the time I reached the ridgeline, I had a very uncomfortable rash starting on my forearms and my legs. At times, I saw what looked like poison ivy but to me, everything has leaves of three with serrated edges. It was unavoidable at points, so I trudged onward. I really should have worn pants.
At about two or two and a half miles in, the climb brought about a yearning for the flat lands of Iowa. Well perhaps yearning is a strong word but it definitely produced a deep appreciation for my homeland. The climb did not cease.
I eventually reached the ridge and decided to turn back to the northwest. I climbed a more open and rocky peak before heading back. The strong winds at the top were quite cool but very refreshing.
The descent was brutal. My knees are cursing me today and I can't remember how many slips and slides I experienced on the return trip. Overall, it wasn't that great of a hike. I was definitely glad that my kids did not go if for no other reason than the bees that were everywhere. The rash that I got from the vegetation was also a negative. But if nothing else, it was great three-and-a-half hours of exercise.
Link to the map:
View Wellsville Mountains - 2011-08-27 in a larger map
Click on the sideshow to see the albums:
Created by My Tracks on Android.
Total Distance: 12.21 km (7.6 mi)
Total Time: 3:28:42
Moving Time: 2:08:38
Average Speed: 3.51 km/h (2.2 mi/h)
Average Moving Speed: 5.69 km/h (3.5 mi/h)
Max Speed: 30.60 km/h (19.0 mi/h)
Min Elevation: 1635 m (5363 ft)
Max Elevation: 2547 m (8358 ft)
Elevation Gain: 1063 m (3488 ft)
Max Grade: -5 %
Min Grade: -20 %
Recorded: Sat Aug 27 08:20:42 MDT 2011
Activity type: hiking












No comments:
Post a Comment